Saturday, January 9, 2010

London

Honestly I don't even know where to begin.
There. Hows that for a strong opening statement?
*sips tea and stares at what she has written* *sigh*
Oh well. Here I go...
I arrived in London on Wednesday morning. It was insane. After getting my luggage, paying way too much for a taxi and being harassed by some cranky British man, I made it do my flat in Camden Town. "Ah Camden Town. The weird and the wonderful live in Camden." which is a direct quote from my taxi driver. Camden Town is like Market Street in SF or Uptown in Minneapolis except on speed and painted grey. Everything is grey here from the sky to the clothing.
I did find color today though after exploring Camden market, Inverness market and Stables market. These were filled with neon, tattoos, lace, smoke, yells, tourists, locals and fish and chips (which I had for lunch).
I think I like London. It feels different than any other city I've been in. One thing I love is how diverse it is. The vibe of Camden Town is a completely different from that of Marylebone, where I go to school or Bayswater, where I am interning and those are all in the West End! There is so much to do and see here. It seems like there are tea shops on almost every corner, which is heaven to me, and when you walk down the street you see people from all backgrounds and hear so many different languages and accents. I love it. Although when I was in a tea shop the other day the song "Use Somebody" by Kings of Lyon came on and all the sudden I missed home. I suppose that is going to happen a lot. I am a stranger here, both to this city and the people around me. But I am happy. I am up for the challenge.
*sips more tea*
I'll post more pictures tomorrow.
night world.

2 comments:

  1. yah fish and chips!
    so happy for you Beks- have a ton of fun.
    love ya.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete