Thursday, November 11, 2010

to my husband...

thank you for protecting me.
you draw me up into your arms, holding me tight, you stroke my hair.
thank you for protecting me.
you shield me from myself, telling me not to listen to voices in my head.
thank you for protecting me.
you hold my hand tighter when you know i am afraid.
thank you for protecting me.
you smile and tell me not to eat that burger and then rub my tummy later.
thank you for protecting me.
you work and provide and love and care.
thank you for protecting me.
you give up weekends and that beard you want to grow.
thank you for protecting me.
you face the future and know you will have to leave, yet you continue, yet you endure.
thank you for protecting me.
you wear that uniform, carry that gun, putting your future, our future, in someone else's hands.
thank you for protecting me.
you will pack a duffle, you will leave, i will cry and not understand while you hold me and whisper....
"i am protecting you. i am protecting them."

thank you to all veterans both past and present. thank you.

2 comments: