Wednesday, August 4, 2010

splinters

it's morning, not too early, but early enough that the sun has not yet taken all the cool air that settled during the night. i love mornings here. a cup of steaming tea and a blanket to curl up with, it reminds me of fall at home.
home.
such a strange word. what does it mean? if home is where you grew up then home for me is in hager city, where i lived from ages 11-19, and one summer after that. if home is that place than my home is an old farm house. it is painting for hours on end, re-roofing the house, making sun tea and picking in the garden. spending summers in mostly just bikinis and winters in 1,001 layers and thick wool socks. surrounded by sisters and brother, mom and dad. so many dishes to do and memories to make. if home is that then i am not home...
if home is where the heart is, like that saying, then home is here. home is with my love, my other half. home is jumping into his arms, knowing he would do anything to protect me, support me. it would be in the silent way he looks at me, looks through me. the way i run my hands through his hair and kiss his cheek. home is here then, in our little apartment in this valley. if that is home then i am here...
it's the splice between the two, the chasm that i know is there, though not visible to all, i know it there. splintered little bekah, trying to go on and be brave. at least i have his hand to hold, at least i know that God has a plan. even though i know all of that in my head, splinters still hurt.

5 comments:

  1. Christmas! I will let you snuggle my little snuggly baby for as long as you want when you come to this end of home in just a few month :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Mel put her finger on it. "this side of home". think of if this way, you now have two places to go home, two places to crash at, to fall back on, to be at peace in. but i know how you feel. the trick is to spend enough time at both ends so that neither one loses that 'home-y' feel. love ya.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It does get easier... for a long time two hours felt like worlds away when everyone in good ol' Red Wing was enjoying the old life together, but it does get easier. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. melody: thanks dee. i can't wait to snuggle your little baby in a few months! smile.
    cari: i got the package you sent! also you are amazing. thanks for all the love. kisses!
    beth: thanks for the advice and being able to relate. i miss you friend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. sweetie, i love you.... hang in there, in a while being with your person will feel more and more like the now home and the splinters will get smaller... in the meantime slather them with some nice teas, and a thrift store run... things that still feel like home that you can do whever you are :)

    ReplyDelete