Tuesday, March 19, 2013

hello dream job.


in december i am [finally] graduating from college with my bachelors of science degree in fashion design and merchandising. when i was 17 i decided i really want to pursue fashion as a career and ever since then people have been asking me what my "dream job" would be once i graduated. the job description has changed from big name designer to anything in as long as it's in paris, to something in fair trade. recently i started as an intern for a local fair trade clothing company who specializes in partnering with women artisans in india. it's been a lot of work and very challenging for me as it's a new company and needs lots of tender loving care. but i love it. 
recently, someone asked me what i wanted to do when i graduated, what was my dream job. i stopped a minute about to recite the practiced speech and then realized... i am doing it. i want to be doing what i'm doing right now, using my talents, skill and passions to help those who don't have a voice, in this case promoting fair trade, sustainable fashion. 
true, life will take me somewhere new after graduation and i will find another place to work, but for now, i am happily helping to create products that are fashion forward and ethically made. 
i am doing it.

recent jacket from fall 2013 line. l to r, designer's original sketch. what i created based on the sketch including alterations designer wanted, patterning, sewing. the finished product on a model. 
www.symbologyclothing.com

No comments:

Post a Comment